Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Saturday, July 07, 2007

The beauty of the large university

There are many, many reasons not to attend a large university, but there is one outstanding reason to attend a large university: the large university library. This is especially true of a land-grant university because it probably has a lot of different departments and probably saves a lot of its materials rather than get rid of them when they are old. I am very excited to learn that U of I has one of my absolute favorite library databases, the Readers' Guide Retro, which indexes popular magazines and newspapers from 1890-1982. It is the historian's dream come true. At least popular culture historians. I discovered it at NCSU and have been in love ever since. Unfortunately, few libraries subscribe to it. I'd imagine it's pretty expensive. In any case, in my spare time (haha), I can now continually search for dining room articles. I love the internet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home