Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Khloe?

Andy and I like to make fun of all the weird names kids are getting these days, so whenever we come across a particularly odd one, we share it with each other. Working at a library, I come in contact with a lot of odd names. Khloe is just one example. Want to know how you know you gave your kid a weird name? He or she immediately starts spelling it after telling you what it is. When they have to do this, you should know that you have screwed up your child for life. I should know - I had to spell my maiden name, and now I have to spell my married name - that's bad enough, and not really any parent's fault, since last names aren't really chosen. But imagine having to spell both. ALL THE TIME, whenever you do ANYTHING. Now there are some obvious examples, like Catherine, Kathryn, etc. that are traditional, but could probably be avoided. However, if you are contemplating naming your child a "traditional" name, but spelling it strangely, such as, well, I can't think of one right now, but in any case, that's just mean. People are going to start spelling it one way, then have to change it all around, and sometimes they won't even believe that it's spelled the nontraditional way. Save your child years of annoyance and give them a name that actually exists, can be spelled without too much difficulty, and doesn't make everyone look at them funny. And thanks, mom, for following the rules - most people can spell my name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home