Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Cheese curd and Ferrara Pan

While eating cheese curd and some Ferrara Pan Orangeheads (not at the same time), I'm reminded of the regional favorites we've come to love in each of the places we've lived. Here are some of my favorites in no particular order:
1. Krispy Kreme - granted, you can get these in a lot of places, but we lived down the road from one of the first stores when we lived in Raleigh - or maybe it's the first? James, my Raleigh history expert, help me out here!
2. Cheese curd - it squeaks - need I say more?
3. Ferrara Pan Orangeheads, Lemonheads, Grapeheads, Cherryheads, Apppleheads, etc. Not only does the factory send heavenly scents of atomic fireballs and bubble gum out into the air, but they make darn good candy. I wish they gave factory tours.
4. Isaac's - hands down, the best sandwich place in the universe and a Central Pennsylvania legend
5. Sheetz - another Pennsylvania discovery that is slowly spreading. Of course, they didn't bring them to Raleigh until about 2 months before we moved away.
6. The Golden Lamb - once you've had one of their tacos, you can never eat another taco without thinking that it's gross because it's not from the Golden Lamb. I think they only have 3 employees, and they aren't open regular hours, but when they are, I'm there.
7. Maple Syrup - no self respecting Vermonter would leave this off her list - and sugar on snow, even if Andy thinks it's a rip off to take the snow inside in a bowl.
8. Doughnuts from the farmer's market - doesn't matter which organization is making them each week, fresh doughnuts are a must have. Why does Mozilla think that I'm spelling doughnut incorrectly, but "donut" is ok - has donut become the accepted spelling?!
9. Chick-fil-a - any restaurant that tries to capture the grease inside its food must taste good. Another Raleigh discovery. My arteries are probably thanking me for moving out of range.
10. Shanghai Garden - the Chinese restaurant near my parents house - quite possibly the best fried rice and won ton soup you will ever eat.

That's 10 - I'm sure there are more. Know this, though - if you live by one of these places, I'll want to eat there if I ever come to visit :)

2 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Blogger Jimmy said...

I have lived in (or nearby) cities that originated two of your 10 favorites. Issac's originated in Lancaster, PA and I even ate at the very first one. It doesn't exist anymore but they built a much nicer one across from where the original was.

Sheetz originated in Altoona, PA. I haven't been to that original store but I certainly couldn't live without that chain! 17th street Sheetz rocks my world though! It's like the one in Raleigh but even bigger! They don't make those anymore.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger James said...

The first Krispy Kreme was in Winston-Salem, NC. The one in Raleigh has to be pretty old, but I'm not sure of an exact date. I'll work on it and get back to you. ;0)

I still remember the first time we took you and Andy there ... that has to ranks as one of my all-time favorite visits.

You guys didn't believe me at first. Then that first HOT-NOW doughnut melted in your mouth and slid down your throat leaving a trail of melted sugar in its wake. You were totally hooked. The looks on your faces made me very happy.

Chic Fila is one of Katie's favorites too. I personally prefer Bojangles (another NC invention). Bo Berry Biscuits and unbeatable sweet tea -- plus the fries with the ridiculous amount of seasoning. Finish me off with a sweet potato pie. MMMMMMMmmmm.

Anyway ... this is your list! Sorry.

As always Raleigh misses you guys. Krispe Kreme and Chic-Fila are on us when you come back for a visit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home