Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

What?

I've started working 40 hours a week, and I'm tired. Andy always says that normal people work 40 hours a week and live through their days, but my job isn't for normal people. Normal people aren't "on" 40 hours a week working with all kinds of people, finding everything, and answering every conceivable question. Working in a children's dept at a library requires a special amount of energy that can really drain you. In any case, I'm working 40 hours a week for 2 reasons. The first is that I will be on "vacation" while I'm at U of I. Of course, I won't actually have much vacation time, since I don't really earn much, so I'm working to make up the hours lost (and there's a lot to do around here with the library under construction and all). Then, because the IT person left, I'm taking up some of the slack - anyone who knows me now would be quite surprised to learn about this, but I used to be a computer science major, so I do know a few things about computers. In any case, that makes 40 hours. We see a lot of kids in a day.

As far as the title of this post goes, though, it has to do with adults. I expect a lot of questions from kids, but it seems that some adults need a lot of handholding. The adult fiction collection has been moved to our floor because of the construction, so we get a lot of really confused adults looking for their books in the "Young Adult" fiction section. It has "Adult" in the title, so I can see where they could get confused. (Young adult is library speak for teenagers, by the way.) Anyway, so I've had my fair share of adults needing extra special attention lately, including one little old lady who handed me a book from the library's booksale shelves and asked me to find it for her. A 5 year old probably doesn't know what a card catalog is, but I'm pretty sure this lady did. Then there was the man who wanted to know where the microfilm was. I showed him. Then he said, "Hinsdale Doings?" (the name of a local newspaper). Just that. No, "Could you please show me the Hinsdale Doings?" Oh well. At least the kids are polite.

1 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger James said...

Preach it sister.

Most adults I run into are nothing more than good reasons to spend an extra amount of time making sure I raise my children right.

Not that I have any children yet ... but they're going to be hating life thanks to all these idots running around (including their dad).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home