Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Friday, July 29, 2005

I got a job!

So I did it. I got a job. I turned down the chance to work at the zoo, even though it might have been fun and was closer. Well, I wasn't actually offered the job - they aren't deciding for another week or 2, but I decided that even if I got the job, I really didn't want to risk having work on Christmas day. It's open 365 days a year. So instead I'm back in a library. This time, though, I won't be a monkey, which is how I sometimes felt before. I'll be in the youth section, and I get to do things a librarian might do, like plan story times and order books. I even get my own ordering budget for whichever section they assign me to. I just sort of stumbled across the job. I wasn't originally going to apply because I thought it had too many hours, but I did because it sounded like it might be more fun than some of the others. As it turns out, it's a lot like my old job at Oak View, as far as hours go, and I get to work normal shifts. A lot of public libaries have 4 hours shifts, which is great for moms, but not so great for college kids with an hour commute to school and an hour commute to the library with traffic. Anyway, I'm just glad that I won't be treated like a moron. I doubt a lot of PhD's are hanging out with the picture books anyway.

On a related note, I've got some funny interview stories. I would like to say that the interview for the job I accepted was very nice, relaxed, and normal. Some of the others, however, were a little different. To begin with, I apparently have a North Carolina accent. I think I said y'all once in the 2 years I lived there, but I actually had someone tell me that I couldn't have lived in Vermont long because I just don't have a Vermont accent. Honestly, I don't think any of these people have ever been to Vermont, and they think all New Englanders sound like they're from Boston. Even Vikki doesn't sound like she's from Boston, and she grew up a lot closer to the city than I did. Granted, I didn't say "Wicked Cool" at any time during the interview, but it just didn't come up. I also had people sound shocked that it gets hot in NC in the summer. We've been having a heat wave here in the midwest, and I commented that it wasn't too shocking after living in NC. Apparently it's a well hidden secret that it gets hot in the summer in the South. Who knew.

I'm sure there are more stories to tell, but I don't want to share them all at once. I'll save the fun for later. I will say this, though: The library I'll be working in lets you check out puppets. How cool is that? Wanna do a puppet show, but you just can't find a walrus puppet? Check the library!

1 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Picture books AND puppets?!

You are so lucky!

8-]

Congratulations!

Robin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home