Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Thursday, September 23, 2004

I had something to say

but of course now that I am sitting in front of the computer it has slipped away... anyway, I'm really liking my new job. It's so fun to work with people about my own age and who are interested in many of the same things that I am. *Gasp* I'm even friends with girls (it's actually hard not to be, since the park manager and one other student are the only men, but that's not the point). Even if it's not my dream job (my dream job would be to be the boss), it's great experience, and you get to hear all the funny things that kids think. We have an old fashioned curling iron (the kind you stick in a fire to heat up) and the boys thought that it was a nut cracker. Not so much, but quite hillarious - they even tried to demonstrate using a piece of wood chip as a "walnut" It's all part of learning to figure things out for yourself.

oh and now I remember what I had to say - it's about school uniforms. Wow, first of all those kids (they were from a private school) all looked like little soldiers as they were marched ("on the right is always right") into the Farm History Center. Then, just for kicks, I looked up the requirements... The girls aren't even allowed to wear pants or shorts on field trips!!! They're allowed to wear them at school though, which I think is just crazy (well, they're not allowed to wear pants, but "walking shorts and cullottes" are ok) - why not the other way around? The most rediculous thing in the world is to see a bunch of girls running around on a field trip at a farm wearing a skirt! (What happens when they have to sit down on the grass to listen to us? Well, they have to kneel, which I think is bad for your knees, and completely unfair)

Also, how much does this cost? It's just not fair - I don't care whether or not the dad drove up in a Porsche - no one should have to pay that much for their kids' clothes. A dress code, all right - at least then you could buy your khakis at Target, but uniforms? That's just too much... I know that many people, particularly Christians completely disagree with me on this, but come on people. Plus, why do all these dress codes not let girls wear pants? I think this is also crazy - I don't understand this at all - what century are we living in now? Maybe in NC it's not so bad, but in VT when it's cold, that is just inappropriate. My cousin told me once how all the girls just huddle together on the playground during recess because they were too cold in their dresses. Crazy!

So it turns out that I did have something to say - rrr - uniforms make me angry. Of course Andy will point to my own rebellious short skirt phase in high school as evidence that uniforms and dress codes are a good thing. Well, maybe to a point, but they don't take into consideration different body types. My poor cousin is too tall to find skirts in regular stores that are below the knee (unless they're to her ankles) so her mom has to make them for her. Ok so don't allow mini skirts (ie you bend over and others can see your underwear), but there should be a little leeway here. And how many of the people who are now advocating these long skirts wore minis in the 60s and 70s? I know I never wore any as short as they did on the Brady Bunch, and that was family TV. Then there's me - I can't find shirts that are long enough for me to save my life, unless they're size XL, which everyone knows I'm not. If you don't believe me, I dare you to find a shirt that fits me width-wide but doesn't go over my belly button when I raise my hand - $14 jcrew t-shirts and $10 KMart t-shirts is all I've found so far...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home