Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Red Hot Chili Peppers trivia

I've been an off and on fan of the Chili Peppers ever since 5th grade when my friend Lauren and I would sing Under the Bridge while swinging on the swingset in her backyard. I'm sure we sung it other times, but that's what I distinctly remember. I can credit Lauren with introducing me to MTV as well, probably much to my parents' chagrin, but I had to learn about Kriss Kross somehow, didn't I? Well, that's another story.

Anyway, while trying to figure out what mysterious Chili Peppers song I like, but whose name entirely escapes me, I searched the library's holdings of their CDs. Maybe the name would come to me? Well, it still hasn't, but I've learned a whole lot about the Chili Peppers. First, they've been around since 1983, and Flea and the singer guy with the long hair are original band members. Others have come and gone, due in part to a lot of drug use (including singer guy. No idea if he's cleaned himself up or not)

Second, 5th graders love the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Green Day. I know this because I work with 5th graders. This makes me feel cool and old at the same time, since someone in 5th grade now was decidedly not alive in 1991 when Under the Bridge was released. They're not even old enough to have experienced Dookie the first time through (1994). Is this how our parents feel when we "discover" some group from their childhood? eek.

Third, apparently the Chili Peppers' red hot new single, Dani California may actually be a downright copy of Tom Petty's Last Dance with Mary Jane. Some guy actually put together an mp3 that compares the two songs. For more info on that, check out Wikipedia - there's probably a lot out there on the regular old internet as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home