Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Saturday, April 29, 2006

"Do Everything"

The motto of Frances Willard (or something - at least that's what they put on their t-shirts - I don't think I've done enough research yet...) Anyway, you know you always wanted a magnet of the formerly famous leader of the Women's Christian Temperance Union with her bicycle, Gladys. Because I know I do. My birthday is only 3 months and 7 days away.

It's very interesting that someone so famous in her day (even more than Susan B. Anthony), could be completely unknown today. You expect that of Monica Lewinsky, but of someone who actually changed things and was influential all over the country? It just goes to show you that you have to pick your causes carefully. The right to vote - whoo hooo - it passed, and hey, women are actually intelligent. Prohibition - passed, and well, sort of failed - no one cares about temperance anymore. Or do they? Show your pride, wear a Frances t-shirt. Maybe we'll get an A if sales spike on the website. :)

2 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger James said...

Reading your article got me wondering whether or not anyone out there had brewed a Francis Willard Beer. It wouldn't have suprised me to find a brewry with that name associated with it -- especially given beer drinkers taste for irony.

I'm sure Willard's family and memory is glad that there is no such brewery (at least not retrevable via google).

However, I did find this: http://www2.jsonline.com/dd/destmid/dec03/192212.asp

If you go to that site you'll find an article that cites the promise that Willard and all of her family signed regarding all alcholic beverages.

What's interesting is that her brother apparently signed the pledge but included exceptions on beer and cider. Apparently he, at least, was okay with those drinks.

Anyway ... the article is a good read.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger James said...

P.S. Who's Monica Lewinsky?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home