Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I love the internet

I can't imagine life without the internet. Well, I can, because I remember a time when I didn't have internet at home (or even, gasp, any access to it at all). I remember the first time I used the internet and how long it took to do everything. Now I complain when I have to wait a few seconds for a page to load. Anyway... I am so glad that I am alive during the age of the internet. Not only can I type my papers using a computer instead of a typewriter, but I have access to so much information I never would have used any other way. I have primary sources jumping into my lap left and right with all kinds of libraries digitizing their collections. There is HEARTH from Cornell, Feeding America from MSU, and even Duke has digitized some cookbooks for an advertising thingie with their library. If it wasn't for the internet, I'd have to try to find things via interlibrary loan, or even travel to the library that owned them, and then I'd only have them for a few days, weeks, or maybe even hours. But the internet has changed all that. It's there, all the time - 24 hours a day, and it's searchable. Nothing compares with searchable text - an index just isn't the same. Yay technology!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home