Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Universal License

I am now the proud owner of a valid Illinois driver's license. Even though the NC license didn't expire until 2011 (seriously, is that insane or what?), Andy needed a license for in-state tuition at NIU, and frankly, it's just a good idea to have a driver's license for the state you live in. That way you don't have to bring a lease and 5 forms of identification just to get a library card. I wish, though, that there was some sort of universal, national driver's license procedure. I've now taken 2 more driver's tests than I'd care to.

I also want to say that the US Passport system is dumb. I got a passport in 1999 under my old name. When I got married, I applied to have the name changed (which is free, in case you're interested). However, because it's free, all they do is type the name change on the "amendments" page. So... it confuses everyone, though really only in the US. I didn't have any problems in Europe. The lady this morning wanted to know if I had my marriage license with me. No, but I did need the license to get the passport, and see how my social security card and old driver's license have the correct name? Really, it's me.

OH and the craziest thing of all... When we first arrived, I went up to the desk and said, "Hi, I need to get a new driver's license for Illinois" or something like that. In any case, the first thing she asked was how old I was. She did not ask any of the other people in line this. Apparently she thought I might need a parent or guardian to sign for me. Of course, then I said 25 because Andy just turned 25 and I'd been thinking about being 25. I corrected myself, but not before I felt like an idiot. Anyway, I just want to say that while most people might consider it a complement, I just get annoyed. I have wrinkles on my forehead for goodness sake! I'm not 17!

1 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Robin said...

But you look 17...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home