Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Monday, November 22, 2004

You know you're in the South when...

Every once in a while things happen to remind me that North Carolina will never be "home" - the guy wearing shorts in November is one thing, but how about this:

During my tour observations, one of the tour guides spoke about a Native American tribe known as the Saura. She then proceeded to spell S-A-U-R-A to the first graders. I had no idea why, since first graders aren't exactly in the National Spelling Bee. A minute or two later, she referred to the Saura again, this time saying, "not like sad, but Saura." Well, I just kind of sat there, dumbfounded for a bit - sad and Saura sound nothing alike. And then it hit me: Saura and Sorrow - where I come from, those two words sound nothing alike, but when someone with a Southern drawl says them, they sound awfully similar: Saura (like Laura with an "S" at the beginning) and Sorra (as if the "ow" was an "a"). Now you're all a little more enlightened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home