Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Friday, August 20, 2004

It's an age thing... I think

It's getting so that I can't stand to watch any sports unless the commentators are muted. I think everyone knows how Andy & I feel about the Fox commentators, but even these NBC people are getting on my nerves. Rowdy Gaines yells through the last half of every swimming race, Elfi Schlegel has to tell all of us that "this dismount will use the whole length of the beam" (when almost any dismount worth a good score does), and then there's Jimmy. I can't remember Jimmy's last name, but he does all those people's interest stories about the history of whatever field they're using. Now Jimmy, I'm a history major, so that stuff does interest me, but do you have to take 20 minutes to tell me all this? I really turned on the TV to see some sports, not another story about how the first Olympians competed naked and, gasp, there weren't any women. I'm not going to go into the nakedness, but anyone with any brains wouldn't be shocked that women didn't compete in the Olympics 1600 years ago. Heck, I'm surprised they let women compete when they did. But that's another story...

Anyway, I guess it's an age thing - now I know what most of those gymnastics moves are, I can tell a Lutz from a Loop in figure skating, and I can certainly tell you that when the guy's hand hits the wall first in swimming, he has won. Unless he's Aaron Peirsol, in which case he will win by 2 seconds, then lose, then officially win. But that was a judges thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home