Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Sunday, January 14, 2007

TXT

To my horror, I am growing older. Andy will be 26 in a few weeks, which means I'll be 26 in a little over 6 months. I know what you're thinking: 26 isn't really that old. But then I realized, again, to my horror, that I have never sent a text message. I tried once, and failed, and I never tried again. This is unlike me. I embrace technology. I am the one who learned to program our VCR long before Andy. I am the one who showed everyone at work how to use the digital camera. Etc. I think of this, and I am reminded of my colleague at work who is more than 40 years my senior who has only sent an email once. She receives email, but never sends. I was just thinking of this fact before I sat down to write, and thought, "How can she go through life without sending emails?" And then I thought, "Oh my gosh! I'm like her, except with texting. If I told one of the teen patrons at the library that I had never texted, they'd probably be horrified." This is an awful feeling. Now, part of my neglect with regard to texting is that it costs money. Ok, it's only like 4 cents, but still. That's 4 cents I don't have to spend if I just send an email. And I grew up in the age of IM. Before everyone had cell phones, there was IM. I remember going to Germany (where, incidentally everyone has a cell phone) and coming back to a world of cell phones. Somehow, between 2001 and 2002, everyone and their brother got a cell phone. So, as a result, I vow that before my 26th birthday, I will send a text message. I just have to get Andy to show me how. :)

1 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Blogger Jimmy said...

I think 26 is old. But then again, that's just me. And you're not really missing out by not texting anyone. I may be able to count on my extremities how many texts I sent in my lifetime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home