Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Saying goodbye to the old Saab

Sadly, the Saab had a problem that even I wasn't ready to try to fix. On Tuesday, I tried to take it to work. I got to the end of the alley and realized that it just wouldn't go into first or second gear. Now, one of them you might be able to live without, but not both. A call to the Saab dealer confirmed that it probably wasn't anything other than the transmission. Something that would cost far, far more than the car is worth. So, I had to say goodbye to the car that I took my driver's test on, drove to my first ever Ben and Jerry's Free Ice Cream Cone Day in Hannover, and just generally spent a good part of my teens and twenties driving. I wonder if I'll get this nostalgic when my parents get rid of the ginormous truck I took to college to haul all my stuff in?

In any event, we decided that we would indeed get a new car. Thanks to Andy's grandpa, who worked for Ford, we were able to get a good deal on a number of cars. Anything that Ford owns, we could get a discount. We've been considering a Focus for more than 3 years now, but I was never quite ready to commit to one. Then, we discovered that Ford owns Mazda. Well, I'd never even been inside a Mazda until Wednesday, but when I drove it, I liked what I saw/felt. So we're now the proud owners of a Mazda 3i. (The cheaper model, but not the cheapest.) I was excited to get a manual transmission, even though I had thought about the conveniences of an automatic in Chicago traffic. Hey, we might not live here forever, right? Getting an automatic also saved us around $800. Never a bad thing. Unfortunately, it snowed on Friday and got insanely cold, so I wasn't excited to take pictures in that weather. I'll get them when it's not 10 degrees outside.

Goodbye Saab :( I'll miss you.

1 Comments:

At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that old thing too. I always wondered how long it would last you guys... now we know.

I'm a bit suprised your new car wasn't another mini. what was the rationale?? One of you should talk about this...

Probably Andy, huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home