Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Yikes

Ok so I completely underestimated the whole travel time thing when I thought about working and going to school. I spend 2 hours on the train going to and from school, but I also have to leave time to walk to and from the train station. Let's make it an even 2.5 hours. Add to that 3 hours in class (usually more - can't liberal arts majors tell time?), and you've got 5.5 hours. That doesn't include time in the library for reserve reading. I know LUC has e-reserves. Let's get on this, people.

As a result, I feel like I am drowning in work and a lack of time. Once Monday comes, any homework time is out the window until Thursday morning, although by this point, I'm ready for a break. Unfortunately then I have to take the aforementioned 5.5 hours for school.

On a positive note, my local history class is fascinating. Who knew that the Chicago river used to flow into Lake Michigan and now flows out of Lake Michigan? I didn't even know you could change the direction of a river. Ok, probably people who live here knew about the river thing, but still. Fascinating. I also convinced my professor to let me do my historiography paper about Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. Although I might have preferred someone a little more closely tied to dining rooms, those authors haven't written enough books. Fortunately, Ulrich has written just enough (3) to allow me to write about her writing. I definitely would have quit school right then and there if I had to write about some old man's theories of economic history. At least I've already read one of Ulrich's books, and I used part of another for my dining room project. 17th and 18th century New England, here I come!

By the way, don't expect much posting this semester. I might only have to go to school for one class next semester, so maybe I'll have more time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home