Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Thursday, March 04, 2004

Does locking your knees make you faint?

Well, I'm not really sure what causes it. Almost any bridal magazine warns against locking your knees, since a lot of brides (and their bridesmaids) pass out at the altar. (See this article at usabride.com as an example.) But the more I thought about it, the more I wondered whether or not this really caused you problems. I tried many a Google search with different variations of the above question, and I only came up with one article that disproved the locking your knees theory. The article states:

Locking the knees has nothing to do with blood flow restriction for several reasons 1. no physical kink is made 2. There are several collateral vessels (even though one is kinked, which often happens around moving joints, others can pick up the slack) 3. If blood flow was really lost to your legs your body has several warning signs which will make you move your legs to encourage more flow (tingling, shivering, muscle fasciculation).

This is all quite fascinating, but I still have no idea whether it's true. In any case, be sure to eat your breakfast before you get married or are in a wedding, and don't lock your knees, just for good measure (I've seen it happen firsthand - but that's another story, and I don't think I should plaster it all over the internet...). If you have any insight into this, please let me know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home