Since my life is more than shoes...

I thought I'd share it with you

Friday, May 21, 2004

They finally did it!

That's right, the pool is finally open. Andy and I have been enjoying some post-work dips that have really made the fact that I do have to work a little more enjoyable. I think it would be fun to spend a week sitting poolside somewhere. Well, maybe not a week, maybe just a weekend. It'd get pretty boring after a while. If we don't get any crazy storms (like they're predicting) then that's probably where I'll be - unless the millions of kids in our complex come too. Anyway, it's going to be 90 today and over 90 all through the weekend. I can't believe this. In Vermont you wouldn't even be able to leave your windows open at night because it'd get too cold, and here, it's probably no lower than 65 or 70 every night, and it's only May.

The horror of the August heat in NC is returning to me now... at least this apartment has A/C so we can get some relief.

Speaking of A/C, these people down here are crazy. Ever since it was about 75 degrees outside, everyone has had their A/C on (we can hear it). Granted, there have been a few days where it might have been more comfortable to have the apartment a little cooler, but I enjoy a nice 75 degree room. That way you can still go barefoot and wear shorts and not have to be under a blanket. But the people down here are just crazy. In the winter it's too cold so you have to have the heat on all the time, and really warm. Now that it's summer, you'd think they'd want to enjoy the warmth, but instead they've already got the A/C on when it's not even warm enough for it. Apparently 75 is too hot in the summer. Unfortunately, even northern transplants are subject to the craziness (I hope we can hold out), since one of my coworkers is from Rhode Island and has also lived in Michigan. She says she never opens her windows but goes straight from heat to A/C. Ever hear of those toxins in your house? I'm sure everyone remembers my post about air clearing house plants, so I won't go into that again, but I will remind you of this: your home can be more polluted than the outside air if you never let it breathe. So take a little lesson from the Germans and throw open your windows for 10 minutes every morning (even if it's the middle of winter - that's a little extreme) and air out your house. Unless you live in NYC or Southern California, you're probably getting at least slightly cleaner air.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home